Training Racehorses! Aside from all that this encompasses you will be running a business, whether you are a sole trader or a company you will need to understand the issues facing your business.

You will have financial and statutory obligations which you will need to be aware of as well as employment law, health and safety and the rules of racing.

In terms of qualifications, a Level 3 Diploma (formerly NVQ3) in Racehorse Care and Management is required as well as attending the Trainers Courses at The British Racing School.

You will also require a Licence to train from the British Horseracing Authority. When you apply for a Trainers Licence, the British Horseracing Authority will expect to see a business plan, professional references and a financial statement that confirms you either have substantial working capital or overdraft.

Trainee Profile: Charlie Appleby

Originates from: Somerset

Employer: Godolphin


How did you get into racing?

I rode ponies as a child which lead on to becoming a keen Point to Point jockey and race riding on the flat as an amateur.


What training did you do to become a trainer?

I started with the 9 week course at the BRS  and later completed the Assistant Trainer’s course and Trainer’s courses for Godolphin. I have been part of the Godolphin team for seventeen years.


What are your career goals?

To win a Derby for His Highness and Godolphin.


What do you love most about your job?

Seeing the two-year-olds progress in their careers.


Charlie Appleby _v2