Trainers Module 1 – Racehorse Management
To achieve Module 1, applicants for licences and permits to train must complete the following in the order outlined:
1. Attainment of Level 3 Diploma in Work Based Racehorse Care and Management
This has been designed specifically for the racing industry and is a nationally recognised, skill-based qualification. The awarding body for the qualification is 1st 4 Sport.
The procedure for obtaining a Level 3 Diploma is to firstly register yourself for the qualification by contacting the BRS. You will then be sent log in details for OneFile for you start working through at home. You are advised to plan well ahead (minimum two months) and contact the British Racing School as soon as possible regarding your assessment.
2. Attendance on and completion of a one-week course in Racehorse Management at the BRS in Newmarket
The BRS must have received confirmation of your achievement of the Level 3 Diploma before you can attend this course.
The course will give you an insight into:
- recognition and diagnosis of lameness
- feeding and nutrition
- farriery and remedial shoeing
- purchase and selection of bloodstock
- training and fitness
- licensing/racecourse procedures
- gallops construction and maintenance
- role and responsibility of the NTF
- vets in racing
- horse health including cardiovascular health, infectious respiratory disease and EIPH
3. Attendance at a one-day seminar at Weatherbys in Wellingborough.
No exemptions from undergoing Module 1, as outlined above, will be considered unless the applicant has trained 50 runners and 5 winners under the Rules of a recognised Turf Authority.